The Collegiate Church of Santa María had its origins in a Benedictine monastery erected in the 12th century, with an inn to serve French pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago. The remains of this ancient abbey have been lost, hidden by the modern Collegiate Church.
In 1529, the abbey of monks became a Collegiate Church of canons, proceeding to its reconstruction with monumentalist pretensions in the manner of the great Roman basilicas of the Renaissance.
The Collegiate Church constitutes an interesting example of Bercian architecture from the 16th century, although its completion occurred two hundred years later.
Usamos cookies en nuestro sitio web para brindarle la experiencia más relevante recordando sus preferencias y visitas repetidas. Al hacer clic en "Aceptar todo", acepta el uso de TODAS las cookies. Sin embargo, puede visitar "Ajustes de cookies" para proporcionar un consentimiento controlado.